City Page: May 18, 2017 Edition
Household Toxic Round-up
MAY 27, 2017 FROM 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Location: Public Works Yard - 11121 88 Avenue.
Toxic and environmentally sensitive items you might have around your home can be brought to the Toxic Round-up for safe and responsible disposal or recycling.
Materials accepted include:
- Paint, stain, and solvents
- Fertilizers and pesiticides
- Oil and automotive fluids
- Propane tanks
- Electronics including phones, TVs, computers, VCRs
- Fluorescent bulbs and ballasts, smoke detectors, and all types of batteries
Pretty much anything you would find in your garage, basement, and under the sink! Toxic Round-up is intended for household waste only. Special waste including ammunition, flares, bio-medical waste (e.g. needles), and industrial, commercial, and agricultural products cannot be accepted and must be disposed of using other appropriate programs.
For more information: 780-992-6248 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Transit Holiday Service in May
Due to the statutory holiday, ETS Route 580 and Fort Sask Transit Routes 582 & 583 will not operate on Monday, May 22.
Regular service will resume on Tuesday, May 23.
Advertising Now Available on Fort Sask Transit
Screened Organic Topsoil & Woodchips Now Available
Public Works has been accepting garden waste, leaves, grass clippings, and woodchips from City residents since 1993. Material is piled and mixed and nature breaks it down into a nutrient rich soil.
Screened soil is available for sale to residents and contractors.
Screened Organic Topsoil
$15.00 per cubic metre
$10.00 per cubic metre
Don’t be disappointed. Buy early while supplies last. Prices include GST. Weather permitting, screened organic topsoil or woodchips can be picked up at:
Public Works Yard
11121 - 88 Avenue
Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Saturday/Sunday pick up:
8609 - 111 Street
More information: 780-992-6248 / email@example.com
Sheep Want You!
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED BAAAAAAADLY
Come volunteer at the Legacy Park Family Festival on June 3, 2017.
More Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
New Fresh Shiny Updated Forms
All of the City's Development Forms have been updated. Starting June 1, the City will no longer be accepting the old versions of permit applications.
Please find and download the new forms at: fortsask.ca/permits
Harbour Pool News
COMMUNITY LOONIE SWIM
Saturday, May 20 from 2:00 - 4:00 pm
A special thank you to Fort Saskatchewan Fish and Game for sponsoring this event.
CORRECTION FOR THE GUIDE TO FORT SASKATCHEWAN
Harbour Pool Spring and Summer schedules are incorrect in this publication. Please see the City of Fort Saskatchewan website for our correct schedules, or pick up a copy at any City facility.
Harbour Pool Customer Service: 780-992-6162
5km Run/Walk Registration Now Open!
SATURDAY, JUNE 3 STARTING AT 10:00 AM
Legacy Park, 100 Avenue and 100 Street
Register: fortsask.ca/eConnect / 780-992-6280 / City Hall / DCC
Leaders in Training
JOIN THE FUN!
- Are you a student age 13 - 17 looking for a fantastically fun summer experience?
- Do you want to get involved in the community and spend 1 to 3 weeks working with children?
- Come and be a Leader in Training (LIT) with the City of Fort Saskatchewan Children's Summer Camps!
- LITs receive a $100 honorarium per week!
- Register by May 31 at City Hall, Dow Centennial Centre or Harbour Pool
More Information: 780-992-6262 / CPSsummer@fortsask.ca
Roots of Empathy Instructor
SEEKING EXPERIENCED VOLUNTEERS TO UNDERTAKE AN EXCITING OPPORTUNITY AS A ROOTS OF EMPATHY INSTRUCTOR
Roots of Empathy is an evidence-based program that has shown significant effect in reducing levels of aggression, including bullying, among school children while raising social and emotional competence and increasing empathy - the ability to understand how another person feels. Instructors deliver all aspects of the Roots of Empathy curriculum in the classroom.
Becoming a Roots of Empathy Instructor:
- Instructors attend an intensive 4-day training before working in the classroom.
- The program is delivered by the Instructor over the course of 27 classroom visits throughout the school year.
- With the help of a community parent and baby, Instructors guide students in identifying and reflecting on their own feeling and the feelings of others.
- All candidates are encouraged to apply, however experience in child or infant development, parenting education, community development or teaching children in a classroom setting is an asset.
More information: Krista Allan, Youth & Family Coordinator P: 780-992-6265 C: 780-722-9739
Fort Saskatchewan Skatepark Expansion
CONCEPT MODEL PRESENTATION
Be a part of creating the expansion to the Fort Saskatchewan Skatepark!
Learn about this exciting community initiative, review the digital concept model and contribute your ideas towards the project.
When: Thursday, May 25 from 6:00 - 7:30 pm
Where: Dow Centennial Centre - Lions Mane Room, 8700 84 Street
Legacy Park Family Festival
JUNE 3 FROM 10:30 AM - 3:00 PM
- Face Painting
- Petting Zoo
- Local Entertainment
- Community Displays
Take your career in the right direction.
For a complete listing of all open competitions, please visit the Jobs page.