City Page: August 10, 2017 Edition
Roots of Empathy
Are you a proud parent with a new baby? Will your baby be 2-4 months old in October?
You and your baby could be a Roots of Empathy Family. Roots of Empathy is a program for elementary school children.
The program’s aim is to increase empathy - the ability to understand how another person feels.
Children learn to care for and respect each other, and there is less bullying and aggression. Be a Roots of Empathy Family.
- A baby with one or both parents visits a local classroom over the course of a school year with a Roots of Empathy Instructor.
- The visits are about 30 minutes long, once a month starting in October.
- The program helps children to learn about a baby’s needs and how babies develop and lets children observe the loving relationship between a parent and baby.
- Babies must be between 2 and 4 months old in October.
“Roots of Empathy is about changing the world, child by child.”
- Mary Gordon, Founder/President
Volunteer as a Roots of Empathy Instructor!
Seeking experienced volunteers to undertake an exciting opportunity as a Roots of Empathy Instructor
Roots of Empathy is an evidence-based program that has shown significant effect in reducing levels of aggression, including bullying, among school children while raising social and emotional competence and increasing empathy - the ability to understand how another person feels.
Instructors deliver all aspects of the Roots of Empathy curriculum in the classroom.
Becoming a Roots of Empathy Instructor:
- Instructors attend an intensive 4-day training before working in the classroom.
- The program is delivered by the Instructor over the course of 27 classroom visits throughout the school year.
- With the help of a community parent and baby, Instructors guide students in identifying and reflecting on their own feelings and the feelings of others.
- All candidates are encouraged to apply, however experience in child or infant development, parenting education, community development or teaching children in a classroom setting is an asset.
For more information please contact:
Youth and Family Coordinator
P: 780-992-6265 C: 780-722-9739
Harbour Pool News
WATER SAFETY DAY
Friday, August 11
1:00 - 3:00 pm
Learn all about water safety and enter to win prizes! A special thank you to CUPE Local 30 for sponsoring this event.
Friday, August 18
1:00 - 4:00 pm
Join us for games, prizes, and FUN! A special thank you to Fort Saskatchewan Ukrainian Dance for sponsoring this event.
Harbour Pool Customer Service: 780-992-6162
Public Hearing Notice: Bylaw C15-17
PROPOSAL TO AMEND LAND USE BYLAW
LAND USE BYLAW REFRESH
Administration has brought forward a variety of amendments to the Land Use Bylaw to correct wording, grammar, interpretation, formatting and general structure. The proposed amendments can be found on the Public Hearings page.
When: Wednesday, August 23 from 6:00 - 8:00 pm
Where: Dow Centennial Centre, Lions Mane & Pride - 8700 84 Street
Movie Under the Stars
When: August 18, 2017
Where: Legacy Park
Bring your lawn chairs and blankets! Learn More
Spring Into Summer Success
Our Spring into Summer 50/50 Challenge was a great success! Congratulations to all who participated in the challenge, especially those who completed the entire 50 days! A huge thank you to our generous sponsors:
- Zimmerman Chiropractic
- Apple Fitness Store
- Dow Centennial Centre
- Harbour Pool
- The Retreat Salon & Spa
- Raymond James Financial Services
- The Bear’s Den
- Pots Bar & Grill
- Montana’s BBQ & Bar
- Booster Juice
- KOA Hot Yoga
- Coca Cola
Water Your Lawns on Odd/Even Days
To promote water conservation, residents are encouraged to water their lawns on the odd/even schedule. If your house number is odd, please water on odd numbered days. If your house number is even, please water on even numbered days. Your cooperation in conserving water in this manner is greatly appreciated.
Shell Theatre Performance Series Season Subscriptions
Seniors & Youth:$325
- 12 Professional Series Shows
- Gift Certificate redeemable for one ticket to each of three shows to bring a friend, starting September 1 (Nashville Hurricane, Tommy Banks and Tim Tamashiro, and The Lion, The Bear, The Fox)
- One Month pass to Dow Centennial Centre Apple Fitness
- One Entry for the “Season Series Artist Signed Guitar Draw”
Take your career in the right direction.
For a complete listing of all open competitions, please visit the Jobs page.