News & Announcements

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
News

House fire on Calvert Wynd

Post Date:August 01, 2017 2:00 pm

A fast acting neighbour is being credited with saving a Fort Saskatchewan duplex from going up in flames this afternoon. At 11:42 a.m., 9-1-1 dispatched the Fort Saskatchewan Fire Department to a structure blaze at 71 Calvert Wynd.

“When we arrived, the fire was already pretty much extinguished due to the quick thinking neighbour who saw the flames at the back of the duplex next door and turned his garden hose on them,” explained Fire Chief Shawn McKerry.

The resident in the burning duplex was home at the time of the fire but was not even aware a fire was burning. The neighbour saw the flames in the back of the home and went to work to put out the fire.

“This resident at #71 is lucky their neighbour was home. He took immediate action and saved both their homes,” McKerry continued. “The fire was caused by smoking material left in a plant pot on the back deck.”

The City has called the Red Cross to help with temporary accommodation for the resident of 71 Calvert Wynd.

Return to full list >>