M.E. and You – Weekly Municipal Enforcement Messages
Constuction Zone Safety
Summer time means that road work season is in full effect with construction zones on City streets and highways. It also means that more people are travelling on our roads. Unfortunately, each year in Alberta, workers and motorists are killed or injured in construction zones.
Here are some tips to improve safety while driving in construction zones.
- Constuction zones are marked with orange signs, pylons and barricades. Use caution and slow down in construction zones wether you see people working on or near the road, or not.
- Be patient and expect delays. Allow extra time for your trip.
- Obey all flag persons, warning signs, traffic control devices and posted speed limits.
- Other vehicles may stop unexpectedly, keep enough space between your vehicle and those in front of you.
- Avoid changing lanes in a construction zone.
- Avoid any activity that could distract you. Your safety and the safety of others depends on it.
Remember that speed fines double in construction zones. It is important that you, your family and those working on our roads make it home safe.
For more information on road safety in Alberta, please visit the Safe Roads website at https://saferoads.com/.