M.E. and You – Weekly Municipal Enforcement Messages
Pedestrian Safety Month
November is Pedestrian Safety Month in Alberta. We’re asking drivers and pedestrians to be vigilant and follow some simple safety tips.
- Point, pause and proceed. Maintain eye contact with drivers to ensure that they have stopped before you cross the street.
- Only cross at designated crossing points such as a marked crosswalk or street corner.
- Do not cross the road while distracted. Remove headphones and put away your cell phone until you are safely across the road.
- Ensure that you are visible to drivers. When in low light, wear reflective or bright coloured clothing.
- When approaching crosswalks or intersections, be alert for pedestrians.
- Reduce your speed. Sometime pedestrians can be hard to see in low light conditions.
- Make eye contact with pedestrians before you proceed through a crosswalk and give them the right of way.
Fort Saskatchewan is a Vision Zero community and asks, “What are you doing to make our roads safer?” For more information on Vision Zero please visit the City of Fort Saskatchewan website at fortsask.ca/visionzero.