The Storefront Improvement Grant was established to encourage business owners and commercial property owners to enhance their commercial storefront.
- To improve the visual aesthetic of commercial property and adjoining streetscape.
- To increase sales and traffic for business owners and commercial property owners.
- To encourage business owners and commercial property owners to invest in their property for long term viability.
- Grant will cover up to 50% of the eligible costs, up to a maximum of $10,000, per property. With respect to this grant, a property can be either an entire commercial building or a single unit within a multiple unit commercial building.
- Amount of grant will be determined based on the following criteria:
- benefit to the business
- alignment with business district
- size and scope of the project
- visual aesthetics of the project
- Property must be located within the City of Fort Saskatchewan.
- Applicant must have a valid City of Fort Saskatchewan Resident Business Licence.
- Applicant must be either the owner or a tenant of the commercial property which will receive improvements.
- If a tenant is the applicant, they must provide written authorization from the registered property owner. Tenants should have a minimum of three (3) years remaining on a lease from the date of the application.
- A property is only eligible to receive one grant within a three (3) year period. If a unit within a multi-unit commercial building receives a grant, the remaining units will still be eligible to receive a grant.
- Applicants who have previously received a City of Fort Saskatchewan Business Development Program grant within the past 3 years will not be eligible. The lone exclusion is if they have received the Small Business Education Grant.
- Ground floor commercial use(s) will be given priority, however applications for second storey uses or higher are also eligible.
- Property owner or tenant must not be in arrears in municipal taxes or utilities for any owned property in Fort Saskatchewan.