Finishing your basement requires a building permit to ensure you investment is in accordance with the Alberta Building Code.
Permits can be applied for with Planning & Development Services, located on the 2nd floor of City Hall (10005 102 Street). When applying for permits you must provide:
- Building Permit Application
- Basement Completion - Application Information Sheet
- 3 copies of the basement plan, showing walls, room dimensions, room description, window location, doorways, etc.
- Any secondary permits if completing gas, plumbing, and electrical modifications
- All required application fees as specified in the Fees & Charges Bylaw
Your building permits includes an inspection from a Safety Codes Officer. To arrange an inspection, contact The Inspections Group at the following numbers:
Building Inspection: 780-992-6207
Electrical Inspection: 780-454-5048
Plumbing/Gas Inspection: 780-992-6207
Please note: As of November 1, 2016, the National Energy Code is in effect in the Province of Alberta. Please ensure you are using the proper forms and application packages. If applicable, your project must conform to those requirements. Any questions regarding the Energy Code requirements can be directed to our building inspector.
To receive a timely decision on your application, please ensure your application is clear, legible and complete. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.