Permits for swimming pools, hot tubs, and ponds with a depth greater than 0.6m (2ft) are essential to ensure you investment is in accordance with the Land Use Bylaw and the Alberta Building Code.
Permits can be applied for with Planning & Development Services, located on the 2nd floor of City Hall (10005 102 Street). When applying for permits please provide:
- Development Permit application (for swimming pool only)
- Building Permit application
- Electrical Permit application
- Permit Application Information Sheet
- 5 copies of the site plan showing any required fencing, and the distance from property lines, existing structures, easements and utility right-of-ways
- All required application fees as specified in the Fees & Charges Bylaw
Fencing required under the Alberta Building Code must be a minimum height of 1.8m (6ft). The fence may not be climbable, including chain link fencing or vertical members. Fencing is not required when a hot tub has a lockable cover that can support the weight of an adult.
Hot tubs, swimming pools, and ponds must be constructed within your property and in accordance with the required setbacks established under the Land Use Bylaw (minimum 1.0m from all property lines). They cannot be located over an easement or a utility right-of-way. For help navigating and interpreting the Land Use Bylaw, contact Planning & Development Services at 780-992-6198.
Your permits include an inspection from a Safety Codes Officer. To arrange an inspection, contact The Inspections Group at the following numbers:
Building Inspection: 780-992-6207
Electrical Inspection: 780-454-5048
Plumbing/Gas Inspection: 780-992-6207
To receive a timely decision on your application, please ensure your application is clear, legible and complete. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.