Hot Tub & Swimming Pool

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Permits for swimming pools, hot tubs, and ponds with a depth greater than 0.6m (2ft) are essential to ensure you investment is in accordance with the Land Use Bylaw and the Alberta Building Code. 

Permits can be applied for with Planning & Development Services, located on the 2nd floor of City Hall (10005 102 Street).  When applying for permits please provide:

  • Development Permit application (for swimming pool only)
  • Building Permit application
  • Electrical Permit application
  • Permit Application Information Sheet
  • 5 copies of the site plan showing any required fencing, and the distance from property lines, existing structures, easements and utility right-of-ways
  • All required application fees as specified in the Fees & Charges Bylaw

Fencing required under the Alberta Building Code must be a minimum height of 1.8m (6ft).  The fence may not be climbable, including chain link fencing or vertical members.  Fencing is not required when a hot tub has a lockable cover that can support the weight of an adult. 

Hot tubs, swimming pools, and ponds must be constructed within your property and in accordance with the required setbacks established under the Land Use Bylaw (minimum 1.0m from all property lines).  They cannot be located over an easement or a utility right-of-way.  For help navigating and interpreting the Land Use Bylaw, contact Planning & Development Services at 780-992-6198.

Your permits include an inspection from a Safety Codes Officer.  To arrange an inspection, contact The Inspections Group at the following numbers:

Building Inspection:                780-992-6207

Electrical Inspection:               780-454-5048 

Plumbing/Gas Inspection:      780-992-6207

To receive a timely decision on your application, please ensure your application is clear, legible and complete.  Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

Hot Tub, Above Ground Pool, Pond - Application Forms

In Ground Swimming Pool - Application Forms


Did You Know? You May Need A Special Use Permit

Special Use Permits

Using equipment on City property may require a Special Use Permit.

Download the Special Use of Public Property Permit »