Secondary Suite

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

To help provide affordable housing options, the Land Use Bylaw allows secondary suites within certain residential districts and housing forms.  

Secondary suites require a development permit and a building permit.  Permits can be applied for with Planning & Development Services, located on the 2nd floor of City Hall (10005 102 Street).  When applying for your permits please provide:

  • Development Permit application
  • Building Permit application
  • Secondary Suite – Permit Application Information Sheet
  • Architectural plans (including floor plan) indicating dimensions and layout for separate entrance, room measurements, window locations, and kitchen area. 
  • Site plan showing additional parking space for suite parking
  • All required application fees as specified in the Fees& Charges Bylaw

For help navigating and interpreting the Land Use Bylaw, contact Planning & Development Services at 780-992-6198.

Your building permits includes an inspection from a Safety Codes Officer.  To arrange an inspection, contact The Inspections Group at the following numbers:

Building Inspection:                780-992-6207

Electrical Inspection:               780-454-5048 

Plumbing/Gas Inspection:      780-992-6207

Please note: As of November 1, 2016, the National Energy Code is in effect in the Province of Alberta.  Please ensure you are using the proper forms and application packages.  If applicable, your project must conform to those requirements.  Any questions regarding the Energy Code requirements can be directed to our building inspector. 

To receive a timely decision on your application, please ensure your application is clear, legible and complete.  Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

Secondary Suites - Application Forms