Temporary Tents

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Permits for Temporary Tents ensure that the tents used in your event are safe and erected in a manner that is compliant with the Alberta Building Code. Temporary tents erected for special events are considered to be buildings as defined by the Alberta Building Code and are subject to safety regulations and permit requirements. Temporary tents erected on residential lands do not require permits.  For all other events, a building permit is required.  Temporary tents which will be in place for more than 24 hours will also require a development permit.  

The application package can be found here. When submitting your application, it must be complete with the following:

1) Development Permit Application Form

A development permit application is only required if the temporary tent will be erected for more than 24 hours.

2) Building Permit Application Form complete with:

- Applicant (Event Holder) Information

- Contractor/Tent Provider Information 

- Location of Event with Owner Authorization (unless on municipal land)

- Construction Value

- Square Footage of Tent

- Payment

2) Fire Safety Plan

This document is used by our Fire Department to determine who to contact in case of an emergency for the duration of the event. Please make sure to note the start and end dates of when the tent will be erected and an emergency contact.

3) Three copies of a Site Plan showing:

- Proposed location of the Temporary Tent

- Distances from the Tent to property lines or other structures on the property

Copies of Real Property Reports or Google Map aerial images can be used as a site plan.  You can sketch on the proposed location of the tent.  A hand drawn site plan is also acceptable. 

4) Flame-Resistant Certificate

This certificate can be obtained from your tent provider.  It must demonstrate that the fabric of the tent is flame resistant and has been tested.

5) Tent Specifications

These specifications can also be obtained from your tent provider.  They may include elevations and anchor load guides if applicable.

6) Interior layout/floor plan of Tent showing:

- Any commercial cooking facilities (if any)

- Portable fire extinguisher locations

- Locations of doors, open tent floors, windows etc.

All permit applications can be emailed to fortplanning@fortsask.ca or submitted in person on the 2nd Floor of City Hall.  If you have any additional questions about the specific permit requirements for your event, please contact Planning & Development at 780-992-6198.

To receive a timely decision on your application, please ensure your application is clear, legible and complete.  Incomplete applications will not be accepted.  Permit costs are based on the Fees & Charges bylaw.


Did You Know? You May Need A Special Use Permit

Special Use Permits

Using equipment on City property may require a Special Use Permit.

Download the Special Use of Public Property Permit »