Uncovered Decks

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

deckA development permit and a building permit are required for uncovered decks 0.60m (2ft) above the ground.  Decks with a height lower than 0.60m (2ft) that adheres to the Land Use Bylaw do not require a development permit or a building permit. 

Permits can be applied for with Planning & Development Services, located on the 2nd floor of City Hall (10005 102 Street).   Online applications are now being accepted. When applying for your permits you must provide:

  • Development Permit application
  • Building Permit application
  • Uncovered Deck Details of Construction form
  • 5 copies of the site plan showing the proposed location of the deck.  Distance from side and rear property lines, existing structures, easements and utility right-of-ways must also be included in the drawing.
  • Drawings showing the dimensions of deck including length, width and height
  • All required application fees as specified in the Fees & Charges Bylaw

Decks must meet Alberta Building Code regulations.  An elevation view showing dimensions is required for your building permit, and must indicate:

  • Size and depth of deck foundation
  • Size of beam and number of piles
  • Size and spacing of joists
  • Material used for decking
  • Guardrail details

Covered decks are treated as an addition to a house, and therefore follows different regulations.

Decks must be constructed within your property and in accordance with the required setbacks established in the Land Use Bylaw (LUB).  Decks cannot be located over an easement, utility right-of-way, or gas meter and/or gas shut off.  For help navigating and interpreting the LUB, contact Planning & Development Services at 780-992-6198.

Your building permits includes an inspection from a Safety Codes Officer.  To arrange an inspection, contact The Inspections Group at the following numbers:

Building Inspection:                780-992-6207

Electrical Inspection:               780-454-5048

Plumbing/Gas Inspection:      780-992-6207

To receive a timely decision on your application, please ensure your application is clear, legible and complete.  Incomplete applications will not be accepted. 

Decks - Application Forms

Online Applications - CityView Portal


Did You Know? You May Need A Special Use Permit

Special Use Permits

Using equipment on City property may require a Special Use Permit.

Download the Special Use of Public Property Permit »