Fence heights are set by the Land Use Bylaw.

How tall can I build my fence?

  • In your side and rear yards, you can build a fence as tall as 1.8 m (6.0 ft).
  • In your front yard, you can build a fence as tall as 0.91 m (3.0 ft).
  • Fences cannot be built on City property.
  • If a homeowner lives on a corner property (whether main roadways and/or rear lane), they need to be mindful of the Sight Triangle requirements from the Land Use Bylaw. The City may require that any fencing be reduced in height to improve sight lines between pedestrians and motorists.

Do I need a permit for my fence?

You do not need a permit for your fence if it is within the heights described above.

If you are planning to build a fence that is greater in height than described above, a permit will be required. We can help you through that process. Call us at 780-992-6198. You can also visit us during business hours at City Hall, Lower Level at 10005 102 Street, Fort Saskatchewan.

Special Use Permits

You may need a Special Use Permit if you plan on using equipment on City property to build your fence.

What else do I need to know about building a fence?

We recommend that you speak with your neighbours about your plans to build a fence. Together, you can determine your property lines and the best place to build the fence.

You should also contact Alberta One Call before you dig to locate underground utilities and services.