Finishing Your Basement

Due to new Provincial COVID-19 regulations, any paper copy applications and business licence submissions will be held for a minimum 4 days before being accepted. This will result in a delay of processing your application.

It is recommended that all Planning & Development applications be submitted electronically to to avoid any delays and to respect the health and safety of City staff as we continue to provide services during this pandemic.

If you have any question, please call 780-992-6198.

Finishing your basement can add value to your home and increase your living space. We can help you with getting the right permits in place for your basement to ensure it is built safely.

What permits do I need for my basement?

All basement developments need a building permit. You may also need electrical, plumbing or gas permits if you are doing any wiring, or adding or moving any plumbing and gas fixtures.

Download the Basement Application Package

As part of your application you will need to submit:

  • Application forms
  • Floor plan showing walls, room sizes, room descriptions, window sizes and locations, doorways, etc.

You can apply for permits:

  • In person to Planning & Development Services. We are on the 2nd Floor of City Hall, 10005 102 Street, Fort Saskatchewan.
  • By email to:


We price basement permits using the Fees & Charges Bylaw. Permit costs depend on the floor area.

View the Planning & Development Fee Schedule


What is the difference between a basement development and a secondary suite?

A basement development is for your personal use only.

A secondary suite is usually rented out and has its own living and cooking areas. They have more strict requirements under the Alberta Building Code.

You can visit our Secondary Suite page for more information.