Garden Suite

Adding a garden suite to your property home can help with housing costs and adds affordable housing options to your neighbourhood. We can help you get the right permits in place for your garden suite to ensure it is safe and meets the Land Use Bylaw.

Can I put a garden suite on my property?

You can put a garden suite on your property if you own a single family home. You will also have to meet the requirements in Section 5.29, district regulations, minimum site width, parking, and other requirements under the Land Use Bylaw and the Alberta Building Code.

Call us at 780-992-6198 and we can help determine if a garden suite is an option for your property.

What permits do I need for a garden suite?

All garden suites need a development permit and building permit. You may also need electrical, plumbing or gas permits if you are doing any underground work, wiring, or adding or moving any plumbing and gas fixtures.

Download the Garden Suite Application Package

As part of your application you will need to submit:

  • Application forms
  • Floor plan showing walls, room sizes, room descriptions, window sizes and locations, doorways, etc.
  • Site plan showing the additional parking for the suite location of garden suite from property lines and other structures on site.
  • Elevation drawings showing window locations, doorways, eaves, etc.

You can apply for permits:

  • In person to Planning & Development Services. We are on the Lower Level of City Hall, 10005 102 Street, Fort Saskatchewan.
  • By email to:


We price garden suite permits using the Fees & Charges Bylaw. Permit costs depend on the floor area.

View the Planning & Development Fee Schedule