Home-Based Business

Due to new Provincial COVID-19 regulations, any paper copy applications and business licence submissions will be held for a minimum 4 days before being accepted. This will result in a delay of processing your application.

It is recommended that all Planning & Development applications be submitted electronically to fortplanning@fortsask.ca to avoid any delays and to respect the health and safety of City staff as we continue to provide services during this pandemic.

If you have any question, please call 780-992-6198.

We allow home businesses in certain residential areas to help support growing businesses under the Land Use Bylaw.

What is the difference between a home office and a home business?

We consider a home office as small business that is not visible from outside the home, has no customer visits to the home, does not require commercial vehicle parking and where all employees are residents.

A home business is a small business that does not negatively impact neighbours. We allow businesses that generate a small amount of customer visits, employ 1 non-resident employee and have on-site parking of a commercial vehicle.

What permits do I need to start a home based business?

You will need to apply for a development permit to start a home based business.

Download the Home Based Business Application Package

As part of your application you will need to give details about your business like hours of operation and number of customer visits.

You can apply for permits: