Renovating and Expanding Your Home

Did you know that some types of home renovations require permits? We can help you get the right permits in place for your renovations and ensure the work is safe and meets the Land Use Bylaw.

Do I need permits for my home renovation?

The table below can help you determine if you need permits for your work.

Permits required for home renovations:

Renovation Type

Permit(s) Required


Development permit, building permit

Interior renovation where walls are added or removed

Building permit

Interior renovation where upper cabinets are installed

Building permit

Interior renovation (cosmetic changes only – ex. new paint, flooring)

No permits required

Kitchen renovation

Building permit

Download the Addition Application Package

Download the Building Permit Application Form

As part of your application you will need to submit:

  • Application forms
  • Floor plan showing walls, room sizes, room descriptions, window sizes and locations, doorways, etc.
  • Elevation drawings and site plan showing the new addition (addition projects only)

You can apply for permits:

  • In person to Planning & Development Services. We are on the Lower Level of City Hall, 10005 102 Street, Fort Saskatchewan.
  • By email to:


We price renovation permits using the Fees & Charges Bylaw. Permit costs depend on the floor area.

View the Planning & Development Fee Schedule

What about electrical, plumbing & gas permits?

If you are doing wiring, or adding or moving any pluming & gas fixtures you would also require Electrical, Plumbing & Gas Permits.