Secondary Suite

Adding a secondary suite to your home can help with housing costs and adds affordable housing options to your neighbourhood. We can help you get the right permits in place for your secondary suite to ensure it is safe and meets the Land Use Bylaw.

Can I put a secondary suite in my home?

You can put a secondary suite in your home if you own a single family home. You will also have to provide additional parking and other requirements under the Land Use Bylaw and the Alberta Building Code.

Call us at 780-992-6198 and we can help determine if a secondary suite is an option for your property.

What permits do I need for a secondary suite?

All secondary suites need a development permit and building permit. You may also need electrical, plumbing or gas permits if you are doing any wiring, or adding or moving any plumbing and gas fixtures.

Download the Secondary Suite Application Package

As part of your application you will need to submit:

  • Application forms
  • Floor plan showing walls, room sizes, room descriptions, window sizes and locations, doorways, etc.
  • Site plan showing the additional parking for the suite
  • Details of the separate HVAC system and additional drywall requirements

You can apply for permits:

  • In person to Planning & Development Services. We are on the Lower Level of City Hall, 10005 102 Street, Fort Saskatchewan.
  • By email to:


We price secondary suite permits using the Fees & Charges Bylaw. Permit costs depend on the floor area.

View the Planning & Development Fee Schedule

What is the difference between a basement development and a secondary suite?

A basement development is for your personal use only. You can visit our Finishing Your Basement page for more information.

A secondary suite is usually rented out and has its own living and cooking areas. They have more strict requirements under the Alberta Building Code.