Sidewalk Cafés and Sales

The sidewalk café program allows eating and drinking establishments in the Downtown to provide outdoor dining experiences for their patrons. Sidewalk cafés can run year-round and there is no fee to apply.

View our Sidewalk Café Brochure

You can apply for permits:

  • In person to Planning & Development Services. We are on the Lower Level of City Hall, 10005 102 Street, Fort Saskatchewan.
  • By email to:

Download the Sidewalk Café Application

What is the difference between a sidewalk café and an outdoor patio?

A sidewalk café is located on a public sidewalk or road, and requires a sidewalk café permit.

An outdoor patio is located on a private commercial property, and requires a Development Permit for an Intensity Change. A plan should be provided that shows the layout of the outdoor patio including the location of tables and chairs.

Please contact for information on applying for a Development Permit.

Where can a sidewalk café be located?

Sidewalk Cafés are only permitted in the Downtown, as outlined in the Downtown Area Redevelopment Plan.

A sidewalk café should be located on the sidewalk in front of an eating and drinking establishment. Sidewalk Cafés can be located along the side of a corner building.

A sidewalk café must provide a minimum of 1.2m of unobstructed sidewalk width for pedestrians. In locations with narrow sidewalk widths, temporary sidewalk decks can be provided on the road or in parking spaces. For more information, review the Sidewalk Café Guidelines.

Learn more about Storefront Improvement Grant and apply today!

Sidewalk Sales

The retail businesses in the Downtown can set up sidewalk sales to provide outdoor shopping experience for their customers. Sidewalk sales does not have any application requirements. A 1.2 meter unobstructed pedestrian zone be provided on the sidewalk at all times. Design guidelines and Operational requirements can be easily reviewed from the info card provided below:

View our Sidewalk Sales Info Card

If you have questions, please contact the Planning & Development Department.