100 Years of Fire Fighting Tradition (1906-2006)
The Fire Department members supported a special project that recognized and commemorated this historic event and left a legacy to the Community.
“Pride of the Fleet” 1929 Ford Model ‘AA’ Bickle Fire Truck
- First motorized fire apparatus purchased by the Town of Fort Saskatchewan.
- Major advancement in firefighting equipment and was used as the primary response to fires in conjunction with the manually pulled (horse drawn and people drawn) hose carts and pumps.
- Served the community for approximately 25 years before being retired from active service in the mid 1950’s.
- Purchase price of this vehicle was $2,100. CNR delivered the truck from Woodstock for a cost of $269.10.
Did You Know?
- In 1906, when the Fire Department was formed, their equipment consisted of 4 dozen water pails and a lot of brigade members.
- In 1917, after the Court House fire, the Alberta Government forwarded a $ 25 cheque to the Fire Department as a token of their appreciation.
- Town Council budgeted in 1930 - $ 19 for the whole fire brigade for the entire year.
- On September 23, 1931, a new siren purchased by the Town was installed and used to notify the Fire Brigade of an emergency. It was located at the Provincial Gaol.
- 1931 – First reference to “a” fire hydrant being located in the business section (102 St between 99 and 100 Ave).
- 1951 – The fire bell was removed from the old town hall roof and installed in the new St. George’s Anglican Church.
- 1953 – All fittings and hose connections on the Town’s fire apparatus were altered to meet Civil Defense standards and now the equipment was compatible with the Edmonton Fire Department. (standard size)
- May 12, 1966 – Council created a full-time Fire Chief position. His duties included fire safety and suppression, gas inspector, plumbing inspection, and license inspector. His salary was $ 440 per month. George Gray became the first Fire Chief / Inspector in October 1966.